If you’re looking for the best dark roast K-cups, then I think you already know that the coffee beans need to be roasted for a long time to enter the dark roast category. This is the key to the deliciously deep and robust coffee flavor.
I think you might also know that most popular European brews belong to the dark roast category, including espresso, of course. But there’s no denying that all the different dark roast options make the selection process confusing even for experienced dark roast coffee drinkers.
If you’re having a hard time finding quality K-cup pods of dark magic, you might want to check out my list of the top-selling, most delicious dark roast K-cups available on Amazon.
Table of Contents
- Top 9 Dark Roast K-Cups to Buy in 2022
- 1. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Double Diamond
- 2. Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Dark Roast Blend
- 3. Café Bustelo Espresso-Style Dark Roast Coffee K-Cups
- 4. The Original Donut Shop Dark Single-Serve Keurig K-Cups
- 5. Tim Hortons Dark Roast Single-Serve Coffee Cups
- 6. Folgers Black Silk Dark Roast Coffee
- 7. Starbucks Italian Dark Roast Single-Cup Coffee
- 8. Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast K-Cups
- 9. Victor Allen’s Italian Dark Roast K-Cups
- Honorable Mentions
- Dark Roast K-Cups Buying Guide
- What Type of Coffee Beans Make the Best Dark Roast?
- Common Names Of The Different Varieties Of Dark Roast Coffee
- The Best Dark Roast Coffee Characteristics
- The Effect of Dark Roasting on Coffee Acidity
- Which Is Stronger – Dark Roast vs. Medium Roast vs. Light Roast
- Choosing the Best Dark Roast Coffee K-Cups
- Related Posts
Top 9 Dark Roast K-Cups to Buy in 2022
1. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters Double Diamond
Green Mountain Coffee Roasters offers nothing but rich, sustainably sourced coffee on the market. This dark roast option is certainly a very toasty and robust blend. It’s the perfect choice for caffeine lovers on the hunt for a truly strong cup of coffee.
This coffee is made from 100% Arabica beans. Every Keurig coffee pod contains the freshest version of Orthodox Union Kosher-certified ground coffee. It might end up being the strongest dark roast you’ve ever tasted.
You can prepare the K-cup in the largest cup size on your Keurig machine. But even then your coffee comes out seriously strong. So, let’s hope Green Mountain Coffee Roasters doesn’t decide to reduce the amount of ground coffee in its Keurig K-cups.
You can prepare the K-cup on the largest size on your Keurig machine. Even then, your coffee comes out seriously strong. So let’s just hope Green Mountain Coffee Roasters doesn’t decide to reduce the amount of ground coffee in their coffee pods.
- Extra bold dark roast with an intense, toasty flavor.
- Dark with no bitterness at the end
- Recyclable Keurig coffee pods
- Some K-cups are defective (bad seal)
Tip: If you’re a dark roast coffee lover but are worried about your caffeine intake, you might want to check out Green Mountain Coffee Roasters’ Decaf Dark Magic. It has an intense coffee taste with a faintly sweet finish.
2. Peet’s Coffee Major Dickason’s Dark Roast Blend
This dark roast blend is named after Key Dickason, a retired army officer who introduced the idea to Alfred Peet in 1969. So, we have him to thank for the deeply roasted and flavorful blend under the spotlight here.
The coffee, needless to say, is complex, smooth, and rich with an incredibly full-bodied, multi-layered character. And it’s packed inside easy-to-use, single-serve K-cups. All you have to do is brew them.
This blend smells heavenly without having a burnt or bland taste, which isn’t the case with many other alternatives. There’s no doubt that every Peet’s Coffee creation tastes as good as it smells during the brewing process.
- The dark roast blend is full-bodied, rich, and complex.
- Made from the finest, highest-quality coffee beans
- Recyclable Keurig coffee pods
- The seal on the K-cups comes off sometimes.
3. Café Bustelo Espresso-Style Dark Roast Coffee K-Cups
In the mood for the best-tasting K-cups with an authentic full-bodied dark roast? If your answer is yes, then don’t look beyond Café Bustelo. The beans used to make this espresso-style dark roast are genuinely pure so you can enjoy a robust taste with every sip.
Even when paired with sugar and milk, the intense flavor of the dark roast comes through. You get captivated by the amazing aroma from the very beginning.
These K-cups can definitely satisfy your espresso-quality coffee craving. All you need is a Keurig single-serve brewer.
- Full-bodied flavor to please every dark roast palate.
- The bold, rich character stands out even with milk and sugar.
- Not strong enough for some
4. The Original Donut Shop Dark Single-Serve Keurig K-Cups
Here’s one of the best coffee K-cups on Amazon. This extra bold, devilishly delicious brew consists of caffeinated, dark roast coffee. Unsurprisingly, the amount of strong ground coffee packed in these pods is higher when compared to regular K-cups.
With The Original Donut Shop, you can expect high-quality coffee each time you use your Keurig brewer. Optimal grind and extraction are part of the deal, and so are 100% Arabica beans. There are no artificial ingredients, plus the coffee is Kosher-certified.
More importantly, you get to enjoy the smooth flavor without the overbearing bitterness that often ruins the dark roast taste.
- Extra bold, full-flavored dark roast blend
- High-quality pods contain more coffee.Pods contain more coffee
- Compatible will all Keurig K-Cup Single-Serve machines
- Expect coffee grounds in your cup
5. Tim Hortons Dark Roast Single-Serve Coffee Cups
Next is a special dark roast blend that’s compatible with every single-serve Keurig machine. The capsules are made of recyclable plastic, which should make you feel a little less guilty for using K-cups.
Here, the coffee masters have managed to create a richer flavor of dark roast. It’s simply perfect for caffeine lovers who enjoy a full-bodied taste with a smooth finish.
Even greater news is that each pod contains more coffee in comparison with regular K-cups. That means these are the best high-caffeine coffee K-cups.
There’s a delectable balance of flavors; boldness, smoothness, richness, earthiness, and minimal acidity. Even the aroma is utterly tantalizing.
- A very smooth darker roast with no bitterness.
- Pods made of recyclable plastic.
- 100% Arabica beans sourced from Central and South America
- Too much sludge.
6. Folgers Black Silk Dark Roast Coffee
Folgers is a brand responsible for providing coffee lovers with the best K-cup coffee in 2021. Its dark roast blend is truly exceptional in the sense that it’s crafted by roast masters. The flavor, unquestionably, is smooth and bold with a distinctively dark character.
Every K-cup is packed with an aroma that can instantly delight your senses. The smooth taste of the coffee is the one thing that’s hard to beat here. On top of that, there’s no acidic taste, which isn’t the case with most coffee options, especially dark roasts.
Even though it’s dark, it’s not overly bitter either. And no funky aftertaste means a lot when it comes to these types of dark roasts, doesn’t it?
- Dark roast is a blend of smooth, bold flavors.
- Delicious aroma, low acidity, and no bitterness.
- Recyclable K-cup pods
- It’s not as full-bodied as the other options on this list
7. Starbucks Italian Dark Roast Single-Cup Coffee
How can the list of the best dark roast K-cups be complete without Starbucks? So, here’s the coffee giant’s Italian dark roast. It’s intense, no doubt, with a deep and rich flavor. The hints of dark chocolate and toasted marshmallow are the best part if you ask me.
The fuller body is yet another very appealing quality in this case. Pair a dark roast blend with a bold and robust taste, and you’ll get the quintessential Italian roast expertly crafted for genuine coffee lovers.
But just because it’s so strong-bodied doesn’t mean the coffee has a bitter taste. At the same time, the depth is so intense that this dark roast stands its ground even with the inclusion of sugar and cream. You can enjoy this Starbucks deliciousness without having to visit the nearest coffee shop.
- A bold, full-bodied, intense dark roast.
- Smooth flavor with no bitterness.
- Recyclable pods
- A bit pricey
8. Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast K-Cups
It says a lot about the coffee brand when it uses only 100% pure Arabica beans. That means you can raise your expectations in terms of taste, quality, aroma, etc. And this is exactly what you should expect from Dunkin’ Donuts and its dark roast K-cups.
The genuine Arabica beans are roasted darker to unleash a richer and bolder taste. The signature smoothness of this coffee might turn out to be your favorite part of the whole experience. The fact that 30% of the beans are Rainforest Alliance Certified means a lot to those looking for responsibly sourced coffee options.
- Bold, rich, and smooth flavors
- It’s as dark as a dark roast should be.
- No flavor residue to ruin the next cup
- K-cups lack consistency.
9. Victor Allen’s Italian Dark Roast K-Cups
You’ll be glad to learn that 100% Arabica beans go into the creation of this Kosher-certified, gluten-free, non-GMO Italian dark roast. Every K-cup contains full-flavored, utterly delicious coffee that you can prepare in just a few minutes.
Victor Allen has been in business and among the top coffee contenders for more than 40 years now. The coffee is rich, smooth, and bright. This Italian roast is undisputedly great-tasting. It’s also flavorful and strong without any bitterness. Plus, it’s pretty affordable.
- Full-flavored, gluten-free, Kosher-certified dark roast
- No bitter aftertaste, even when black.
- Quality packaging
- Not as strong as a dark roast should be.
- Pods aren’t compostable or recyclable
If none of the top 9 picks grabbed your attention, you might want to consider the following 4 options:
- Barista Prima Coffeehouse Dark Roast Keurig K-Cups (extra bold French roast with a smoky-sweet taste)
- Caribou Mahogany Dark Roast Coffee K-Cups (perfect dark roast for light roast coffee drinkers with a robust earthy finish and sweet molasses and vanilla tones)
- Eight O’Clock Dark Italian Roast Single-Serve Pods (flavorful and chocolatey, which makes it ideal for espresso and cappuccino lovers)
- SF Bay OneCUP French Roast Coffee Pods (full-bodied with a smoky finish and commercially compostable pods)
Dark Roast K-Cups Buying Guide
What Type of Coffee Beans Make the Best Dark Roast?
It goes without saying that you can dark roast any type of coffee bean. But, at the same time, there’s no denying that some beans are better suited for the special, intense process of dark roasting.
It’s because beans are roasted for a longer time for a dark roast in comparison with medium roasts. This longer process creates caramelization, but for the bean’s outer hull to get caramelized, it’s supposed to have a higher sugar profile.
Bearing that in mind, the following varieties of coffee beans are more suitable for the long process of roasting:
- Colombian Supremo
- Tanzania Peaberry
- Guatemala Antigua
- Sumatra Mandheling
- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe
It’s completely normal to go for single-origin coffee. But when it comes to dark roast, it’s better to choose a blend of different bean types. The outcome is a unique flavor profile and diversity. The latter is good news for coffee lovers who like to have options.
Common Names Of The Different Varieties Of Dark Roast Coffee
It’s only normal to assume that every variety is different from the next. So, here are the most popular dark roast varieties every caffeine lover should know about:
- French Roast
- Italian Roast
- Espresso Roast
- Double Roast
- Turkish Roast
- Vienna Roast
- Heavy Roast
- New Orleans Roast
- High Roast
- Neapolitan Roast
- Spanish Roast
The Best Dark Roast Coffee Characteristics
Have a look at any dark roast coffee beans and you’ll quickly notice their almost black, dark-brown color. The beans have a very oily texture, so much so that they glisten.
As for the taste of dark roasts, the natural flavors are nearly totally eclipsed because of the roasting process. The dark roast dominates the taste and masks the original flavor of the beans that reflects the soil and climate of the growing region and the origin of the coffee plant.
The Effect of Dark Roasting on Coffee Acidity
The smoky-sweet taste of darker roasts is no proof of their acidity level. The process of roasting affects the acidity of the coffee. The longer the roasting, the lesser the acidity. So, even if your favorite dark roast tastes slightly burnt, it still has a very low acidity level.
Which Is Stronger – Dark Roast vs. Medium Roast vs. Light Roast
Coffee beans are naturally green with no flavor. It’s the roasting process that adds flavor to them. Longer roasting makes the beans darker. But does that mean it makes the beans stronger too?
When you roast the beans for a longer time, the roasting process takes away their original raw flavor even more. This also means more reduction of the caffeine content.
That implies darker roasts like espresso offer a high jolt of energy but with a lower caffeine amount than medium and light roasts (like our beloved breakfast blends).
Choosing the Best Dark Roast Coffee K-Cups
Aside from the factors I’ve already discussed, here are some crucial aspects you might want to take into consideration when buying dark roast K-cups.
More often than not, dark roasts are associated with European blends such as Italian, Spanish, espresso, and French roasts. The heating during the roasting process reaches a point where the beans lose almost all of their natural taste and flavor.
So, if you want to enjoy dark roasts in the comfort of your home, then make sure the blend is a European one.
Most people think that dark roasts have a higher caffeine level. That’s actually not true because longer roasting takes away more caffeine from the beans. So, if you’re after a stronger caffeine kick, you should buy a medium or light roast.
For a great dark roast flavor profile, you can choose any one of the 9 K-cup brands I’ve reviewed in this post. Each of them offers a full-bodied dark roast character without the unpleasant bitter aftertaste.
The flavors are, without a doubt, more robust and deeper. Plus, the fact that the coffee comes in K-cups means nothing but convenience. So, as long as you have a single-serve Keurig coffee maker, you don’t have to leave your home to enjoy a cup of delicious, rich dark roasted coffee.
December 6, 2018
K-cups are the best gifts from the coffee gods! Any caffeine lover will surely agree with me on this! With K-cups, guesswork is eliminated when …
May 11, 2019
The health benefits of green tea combined with the smooth taste of the beverage are quite stimulating as well as calming. Green tea energizes your …
May 17, 2019
Note: Our comparison table only shows our top 3 picks. You can find the other recommendations within this article. If you’re reading this article, it means …